Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Reds secretary looking forward to retirement after 44 seasons

CINCINNATI (AP) - (copy of 1977 AP article)
After 44 years in baseball, a half-million air miles since 1965 and missed summer vacations, Paul Campbell is hanging up his traveling bags at the end of the 1977 season.

"I went into baseball at age 17 with the intention of making it my life. And it worked out that way," said the 59-year-old traveling secretary of the world champion Cincinnati Reds

"I'm looking forward to retirement too much to be sad about leaving baseball. Forty-four years is long enough for anyone," said the balding Charlotte, N C , native who broke into the big leagues in 1942 as a backup first baseman to Boston Red Sox hall of famer Jimmy Foxx. He still holds the record for starting the most double plays from first base (26).

"I've never had a summer vacation, never spent a Fourth of July with my family or had the time to golf I look forward to all those things," said Campbell. When he signed a pro contract with the Red Sox as a 16-year-old in 1935, player-manager Mickey Cochrane had just led the Detroit Tigers to a World Series triumph over the Chicago Cubs and Sparky Anderson was 1 year old.

He has been traveling secretary since 1965, moving up after serving six years as a scout for Gabe Paul and the Reds' organization. The job calls for him to accompany the team on road trips, arrange transportation, hotel reservations and other details including the daily distribution of 12550 per player for meal money. Jet travel amounts to about 35,000 miles a year.

Frustration and endless bookwork comes with the territory "You have to get along with people, be patient and plan ahead," said Campbell. "Whenever something goes wrong, it's my fault Whether it's a bad meal on a plane or a missed connection." His fondest memories' — "In 1949, I achieved three goals. I hit a homer in Yankee Stadium off Fred Sanford, I had a pinch-homer while batting for Fred Hutchmson, and I had a grand-slam against the Phillies. That was my biggest day in the majors. I had two hits in the opener and went 3-for-5 in the second game."

—"I respect Pete Rose more than any other player because of his hustle. Back in my day you had to play like that or you didn't play at all. Enos Slaughter was the nearest thing to him "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home